Sunday 30 September 2012

Project: Tenticles

For this project we had to create a concept involving tentacles. the theme can be adapted in any way however it must show tentacles.

To begin this project i decided to do a brainstorm to help me think what exactly is involved around the word "tentacles" in games, myth, movies etc.

A scan of my Brainstorm.


I then took key words from my brainstorm and created a moodboard to help me further generate ideas.


I researched a small amount of facts of animals with tentacles to help me use some of these facts and take further in a fantasy setting or a world invasion. I have also included the anatomy of these creatures to help me design my final concept idea.

These are the screenshots of my research.


I did a quick glance to see if there are any concept art concerning anything to do with tentacles and I found this piece of art.


http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?147534-Steampunk-Octopus

I likes this piece of art work because of its dramatic scene, it is very clear how the artist has made the creature to be a overwhelming presence by ripping a hole in the ship and how the water around it is flowing giving a sense of size which helps to compare with the ship; what I also liked was how the artist had created some action by painting a turret gun on a nearby boat shooting the octopus creature giving it a more dramatic scene; This is something that I would like to incorporate in my final idea.

Anatomy of Animals with Tentacles -

These are my scans of my Anatomy studies of the animals that are known for Tentacles. I decided to do this because I think it will beneficial to understand how these sea creatures are built and how they use their natural gifts to survive in the animal kingdom.





I decided to do rough siloeuttes to generate some ideas; I decided to to use the 3rd design (left top corner) as an idea; to refine and take further as my final character for my piece.



Character Refinement

To refine my chosen idea, i wanted to study the human body since the sketch is similar to a human body. I looked at the muscles of the upper torso in a male and did a rough sketch to see where the main muscle definition were. I also looked at the head proportions to decide what angle i wanted to draw my final idea. I also did a sketch of how i want the hands to look by drawing it from the reference picture i took of my friend.


Reference Materials

For muscle study 

For background reference material

Sketch of Final Idea


In my final sketch I made a few changes to the design. I went around the internet to see if there was any idea that was similar to mine; sadly i found an existing idea that was very much similar to mine so i decided to change it and make it more octo-squid with a human like upper torso equipped with sharp lethal tentacles. I left the tentacles at the bottom before i wanted to draw my character in a ocean setting where the it rises from the sea and the tentacles are half submerge in the water.

Final Art Piece


For my final art piece i didnt achieve the quality of work i was hoping for, I feel that I my ability to work with digital art is very low compared to my traditional; I think that I would have done better if I made it with dry media, as a idea to present I personally think is not so bad that people wouldn't understand, I think that it fulfil  its purpose by presenting an idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment